Back to the future: Modern movement legacy to be preserved

The future of some of Sydney’s remarkable buildings is in your hands.

9 fine examples of modern movement architecture have been earmarked for local heritage listing in a study commissioned by the City of Sydney.

Sydney Masonic Building

An outstanding and powerful example of the Brutalist architectural style, designed by Joseland & Gilling and located at 279-283 Castlereagh Street.

The Heritage Council of NSW said the modern movement period produced some of the 20th century's most important architecture, including styles known as modern, international, brutalist and Sydney school.

Former Sydney County Council building

The rectangular building designed in the internationalist style by Fowell, Mansfield & Maclurcan is unique to central Sydney and located at 552 - 570 George Street. The building officially opened 1968.

Local heritage listing ensures that any future development will consider heritage impacts and help retain significant features to maintain the distinctive character of these buildings.

St Peter Julian's Catholic Church and Monastery

Post-World War II ecclesiastical architecture designed by Terrance Daly at 637-645 George Street. Opened in 1963, the building contains an impressive collection of artworks. The interior has a high level of aesthetic significance with use of materials such as timber, ceramics and glass.

Brutalist buildings such as the Sydney Masonic Centre and Town Hall House have become synonymous with Sydney's skyline.

Town Hall House

At 456 Kent Street, the building opened in 1977 and was designed by influential architect Ken Woolley (1933-2015)

The post-war period of 1945 to 1975 was one of the most significant periods of development in central Sydney, determining much of the city's current form and character.

William Bland Centre

An example of post-war internationalist style at 229-231 Macquarie Street. Designed by Hans Peter Oser, respected Australian born and trained modernist architect. Construction commenced 1959.

These rare examples of post-war modern architecture were built during a time of great social and cultural change in Australia.

MLC Centre

The Harry Seidler-designed Martin Place landmark is an example of modernist architecture and opened in 1978.

The architects of the modern movement responded to the social, political and economic upheaval caused by industrialisation and world wars.

Former Liverpool and London and Globe building

Located at 62 Pitt Street, this building is an example of late 20th century internationalist style by firm Spain, Cosh & Stewart. Opened in 1962.

The buildings demonstrate the technical and design achievements of the modern movement in Sydney.

Former Horwitz House

Designed by Harry Seidler, construction was completed in 1956. The building is approved to convert into serviced apartments, retaining the structure. Located at 398-402 Sussex Street.

Many buildings from this period have been demolished or modified beyond recognition. Only 5 built from 1945 to 1975 are currently heritage listed.

Earth Mother play sculpture

Representative of abstract figurative sculptural work. From the post-World War II era, designed by Anita Abbott Aarons and completed in 1952. Located at Cook + Phillip Park.

The plan to preserve these buildings is on public exhibition.

Give your feedback on this plan until Monday 16 September.

Posted . Last updated .

Subscribe for updates

Choose the news that interests you

Sign up
Sign up